Vehicular traffic to Vyas and Darma valleys resumed after 75 hours
Vehicular traffic to Vyas and Darma valleys resumed after 75 hours
B.D.Kasniyal
Pithoragarh. Aug 22
Vehicular traffic to the high-altitude Vyas and Darma valleys along the India-China border resumed after a 75-hour disruption, following the construction of an alternate route by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO). Traffic had been disrupted after the Kulagar bridge collapsed on August 19, cutting off road connectivity to the higher valleys, administration sources said.
“With the opening of the alternate route to the Vyas and Darma valleys last evening, the supply of essential goods to villages in the two valleys, as well as to security forces’ border posts along the India-China border, has resumed,” said Ashish Joshi, Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM), Dharchula.
According to Joshi, the BRO responded swiftly to the disruption, taking up the construction of the alternate route on a war footing.
“After traffic to the higher valleys was disrupted following the collapse of the suspension bridge at Kulagar on August 19, personnel of the Panchshul Brigade of the Army, along with SDRF and NDRF personnel, helped more than 300 villagers cross the flooded rivulet to reach their homes in the higher valleys before the alternate road was made operational,” the SDM said.
BRO sources said a new bridge at the site of the collapsed structure is expected to be completed within the next 20 to 25 days.



